Among all the adverse effects, the most painful is RSI.
I neglected the numbing feeling in my right wrist for a while but could not ignore the shooting pain. I've been too laissez-faire about it myself, and I've suffered for it.
During last two weeks, I changed my working style and would like to share some tips with you.
- Get yourself a tiny timer. Setup small timers. The timer should stop you at these small intervals and ask you to relax. The best tool I found was http://www.workrave.org/welcome/
- Follow the instructions as per the timer program and try NOT to neglect the small breaks (the usual break I keep is for 30 seconds every 5 mins)
- WorkRave also suggests exercises that you can do during those short breaks. Follow those.
- DO NOT MULTITASK. Multitasking is good for machines, not for us.
- Stop using mouse where keyboard would do. Learn common keystroke replacement. If you are uberGeek, use AutoHotKey