Google Calendar is definitely one of the coolest online calendars and task-management applications. It has everything an average user may wish for: speed, non-cluttered design and lots of useful and never failing features, i.e. calendar sharing, quick event entry, follow-up reminders (SMS/email), RSS feeds, etc. In addition to it’s standard feature set, there are hundreds of a user-created browser addons (mainly firefox) and problem-specific tips making it even better and more flexible productivity tool. Below, I have listed some of the better ones, if you’re Google Calendar user (or thinking of becoming one) than check them out.
FIREFOX (Addons and Greasemonkey Scripts)
(1) Better GCal - extremely handy extension that integrates bunch of must-have features into your Google Calendar. These are: (1) ‘To-Do’ box, (2) current time, (3) option to quickly hide Header/Sidebar menus, and (4) auto-connect via ’secure connection’ (see screenshot below nr.2)
(2) Extra Tabs (Greasemonkey) - replaces ’standard’ date range tabs with any number of customized tabs. Leaving it on default setting keeps existing tabs untouched and adds “Next 3 Days”, “Next 2 Weeks”, and “Next 3 Weeks” view tabs. (see screenshot below)
(4) Forecast (Greasemonkey) - adds a small, draggable and expandable ‘Forecast’ box to your browser that shows next seven events from your Google calendar. (To get it running, you’ll need to provide it with your calendar’s XML feed, which can be accessed via ‘Settings->Calendars->select desired calendar->Private Address: XML’)
(5) GCalQuickTab - switch between Gmail and Google Calendar using keyboard shortcuts: ‘g’ for Gmail and ‘i’ for Calendar.
(6) Some more…
- Notifier - notifies you of upcoming events for ‘today’ and ‘tomorrow’. [Screenshots]
- Colorize Sat/Sun (Greasemonkey/Opera) - colorizes ‘Saturday’ and ‘Sunday’ columns [Screenshots]
- Quick Add - add events to your calendar without going to Google Calendar page. (only Firefox: 1.5.0.*)
- Facebook to GCal (Greasemonkey) - add Facebook events to your Google Calendar.
- Quick Import (Greasemonkey) - provides quick access to otherwise deeply buried import to ICS/iCal page.
- Compact Header (Greasemonkey/Opera) - compacts GCal’s header by removing unnecessary stuff. [Screenshots]
- Optimized (Greasemonkey/Opera) - removes logo, makes font-sizes smaller and adjusts paddings and margins.
GOOGLE CALENDAR HowTo’s
- How To subscribe to a Google Calendar using iCal
- How To sync Google Calendar with Treo using Mac
- How To sync Thunderbird With Google Calendar
- How To add Google calendars to Google Maps
- How To integrate Google Calendar to your website using AJAX
- How To sync Google Calendar with Outlook
- How To set Google Calendar as your Desktop’s wallpaper
- How To do Enterprise Monitoring With Google Calendar
- How To ‘Get Things Done’ with Google Calendar
- Google Calendar SMS Tricks